Hi! I’m Nicky.
I’m a red lipstick loving former New Yorker, and new wife, enjoying the good life in the south. Charlotte, North Carolina to be exact! I love blogging and photography, and I’m just here trying to master my corner of the digital space.
HOW THE BLOG STARTED
5 years ago, in 2013, I grabbed a pair of scissors and chopped all of my relaxed hair off. Shortly after, I created NickyGoGlam.com as a platform to help other natural hair women with their hair growth journey and self-confidence. It’s been an amazing ride thus far, and I’ve connected with hundreds of naturals across the world. Through blogging and connecting with awesome readers like you, I have had the opportunity to be featured on several platforms that feature natural hair, mom bloggers and creatives.
Fast forward to 2018- the blog has grown exponentially and I couldn’t be happier. NickyGoGlam.com has expanded to include life and style content . In addition to having conversations with you about healthy hair, I now get to share my strategies on creating a life that is balanced, and not only looks good but truly feels good to you. Oh, there’s cute outfits too!
WHY I ALMOST QUIT BLOGGING.
My mom lost her battle with cancer on May 20th, 2017. Since then, I’ve fought hard to pick up the pieces. I wanted to quit everything, delete my blog and go hide under a rock for a long, long time. But what good would that do? I’m a mom and wife, and my mom would not want me to quit my own life. Before she died, she told me she wanted me to continue to be brave and to do all of the things that bring me joy. I decided to do just that, and also to honor her life with every breath that I take. No deleting my blog and no running away from life. Instead, I’m giving this thing called life and my blog my all.
WAIT! BEFORE YOU HEAD OUT OF HERE.
If you’re not sure where to start, no worries, I’ve got you covered. You can start by checking out some easy tips on how to grow natural hair, or you can take a glance at my favorite hair products. If you’re a blogger, I’ve shared some tips on how social media can help you with your readership and building your audience. Check it out here. Alright, lace up your boots and let the party begin!
- Who takes my blog pictures? My son is my photographer most of the time. Like 98% of the time. Our shoots range from 1-2 hours, and in exchange for him taking my pictures, I give him gas money :). My hubby also takes my pictures on the go if my son is not available.
- What camera do I use for my blog pictures? I use an oldie but goodie, a Cannon T3i, with a 50mm lens.
- Favorite food? Shrimp pad thai- All day, any day!
- Cats or dogs? Nothing against cats, but I am a dog mommy!
- Who is my favorite entertainer? Beyonce. Duh!
- How long have I been natural? 5 years!
- Who do I love spending the most time with? My husband! Mr. Nicky Go Glam.
- Will I ever relax my hair again? Never, ever in life, even if I was offered loads of money to do it. It’s a no for me, dawg!
Let’s be friends! It’s NickyGoGlam everywhere.
Periscope | Snapchat
It’s all about balancing the weight. Through hard work, living your purpose, and consistency, I believe that anyone can create the life they desire. Mine is to touch the lives of women all over the world.