Summer time is here and I’m feeling good! I hope you are as well.
I get asked a lot about my hair products so I decided I’d share them with you. The products listed below are what I have been using for the past 2 years. I have experienced a lot of growth since I started my natural hair journey, and although I don’t attribute the growth and health of my hair solely to these products, they certainly keep my hair looking and feeling good. I don’t believe that hair products are the only thing that can aid in having strong, healthy hair. A balanced diet, full of fruits and veggies, drinking lots of water, and even taking vitamins have been linked to hair growth. Genetics might even play a factor. Overall, I think if you are gentle with your hair, and develop some sort of hair regimen, your hair can grown strong and healthy. TLC goes a long way.
I have spent lots of money over the years and tried many products. The ones listed below are my true loves. I purchase them over and over, and I often purchase large quantities at one time to last me for several months. Yes, I’m that girl!
1. Cantu Beauty Leave -in Conditioning Cream
THIS IS THE ALL STAR OF THE BUNCH.
I use this product on all of my twistouts, braidouts and bantu knot outs. Any style that requires definition, this product is used.
- Pros: provides amazing slip, and intense moisture. Smells great, awesome definition and hold that last for over a week.
- Cons: If used alone, this product leaves my hair crunchy. I have to use it with an oil (Trader Joes jojoba oil). See picture below.
2. Trader Joe’s Jojoba oil.
This is the only oil that I use on my hair. I used to use Coconut oil, but I find that it no longer works with my hair. The jojoba oil is lightweight, does not have a strong scent and it perfect when combined with the Cantu product above.
The perfect combination
3. Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter whipped curl creme.
4. Cantu Coconut curling creme.
These 2 products are my back up products. In the event that my all-star product (above) runs out, I can use either of these 2 products to achieve similar results. Emphasis on the word similar.
- Pros: Both products smell great and does provide definition.
- Cons: Both products cause my hair to feel extremely dry and brittle within 2 or so days, the definition does not last, does not provide any shine, and causes my hair to feel and look less natural, and more silky.
This one is pretty simple. I don’t use gel often, but when I do, I only use one brand-Eco styler olive oil gel.
- Pros: It’s light weight, yet provides a long-lasting hold. A little goes a long way and it makes my hair very curly if used for a wash ‘n go style.
- Cons: This product will start to flake within a few days if the hair is constantly manipulated. But isn’t that the case for most, if not all gels?
Treseme Thermal Creations Heat Protection
I never used this product while I had a relaxer. It wasn’t until going natural that I started to use a product to protect my hair from heat damage. I let my hair air dry before applying heat and this product. A few spritz goes a long way.
- Pros: I have used this product for a very long time and not experienced any heat damage due to blow drying my hair.
- Cons: if you use too much at one time, it will make your hair sticky.
Nourish Spa shampoo and conditioner
Nourish Spa shampoo and Conditioner is also sold at Trader Joe’s. They are inexpensive products,.
- Pros: They are both thick and creamy, my hair smells great, both products provide a lot of slip and causes my hair to feel soft and easy to comb through.
- Cons: There aren’t any!
5. VO5 Strawberry Moisture Milk Conditioner
6. Trader Joe’s TeaTree Tingle shampoo
These products are used as a back up in case I run out of my primary shampoo and conditioner named above.
- Pros: inexpensive, leaves my hair soft and tangle free
- Cons: It’s all about timing with these products. If left on the hair for too long, it leaves my hair feeling dry and brittle.
Raw African Shea Butter
I use this product to add shine to my hair. It’s extremely thick, so I don’t use a lot at one time. I also use it along with my hair creams, if I run out of my jojoba oil.
What products do you use to keep your hair healthy and strong? I want to know!